Fall weddings are always so beautiful. The weather is cooler and the leaves begin to change colors. On Saturday September 9, I attended my friend Gracie’s wedding in Boone, North Carolina. Gracie married her longtime love and best friend, Jeff. Unfortunately, Jeremy was sick and so was unable to attend the wedding. But, luckily my friend Jenna was also invited to Gracie and Jeff’s wedding so we made it a girls weekend.
Boone, North Carolina is about a 5 hour drive from Atlanta. Boone is a quaint mountain town close to Appalachian State University. Gracie’s family owns Skye 2 Farm, an organic farm in Elk Park, near Boone. So, Boone is a really special place for Gracie and her family. After she got engaged to Jeff, Gracie immediately told Jenna and I she’d be getting married somewhere in Boone. So, Jenna and I were excited to explore Boone! Friday evening Jenna and I attended the “camping themed” welcome party at a local community center.
Saturday Jenna and I packed a picnic and went wine tasting at Banner Elk Winery during the day. After wine tasting we went back and got ready for the wedding. The wedding ceremony was 5pm at Banner Elk Presbyterian Church and the reception was held at Camp Yonahonka (the Camp at Eseeola). The wedding reception was absolutely stunning and Gracie and Jeff looked so happy! Jenna and I had such a great time exploring this small mountain town.
Things to Do
Unfortunately the weekend flew by too fast, but Gracie and Jeff provided recommendations of other things to do in Boone:
- Skye 2 Farm – The bride’s family’s farm.
- Grandfather Mountain Winery
- Flat Top Brewing – The brewery used hops from Skye 2 Farm last year.
- Banner Elk Winery – Jenna and I loved this winery! The views are stunning.
- Blowing Rock – Be sure to check out downtown Blowing Rock as well as the outlets. According to Gracie, Kilwins Ice Cream is a must!
- Grandfather Mountain – Hike the Profile Trail or just visit the mile high bridge
- Linville Falls
- Linville Falls Winery
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Nick’s – Wanting to watch a sport’s game or eat some comfort food? Try this place.
- Grandview Restaurant – Go for breakfast, and make sure to take in the views. No trip is complete without tasting their homemade apple butter.
- Riverdog Coffeehouse & Cafe
- Louisiana Purchase – If you are craving a fancy cajun meal, this is your kind of place.
I’m not sure when I’ll be back in Boone, North Carolina again, so I’m glad I got to experience it for the weekend for Gracie and Jeff’s wedding.